1. a) What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?:
Went to Colorado. I love going to new places, and this was pretty spectacular, as places go. With some good company, too
1. b) What did you do that you hadn't done in a long time?
Worked really seriously on my poetry.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I try not to make resolutions. They're an exercise in futility. I set goals and plan projects instead. A lot of those didn't get done.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope. Gettin' kinda old for that now. Most of friends are about my age, though some are younger, and I don't have kids myself.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, sadly. My friend Jean Courtney took her life.
5. What countries did you visit?
No countries this year, but two states.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
An updated computer system and faster connection.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm terrible at dates, but the day I found out that Jean had killed herself is pretty stark, and the week I spent in Colorado was, on the opposite end of the scale, fantastic.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I finished an arc of my fan fiction saga, and with Helen's help, put together not one but four poetry collections out of the mass of material I've got.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I didn't revise my novel.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, knock wood. My back's been kinda messed up for a while though, making me numb in odd spots.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
It's a three-way tie: The new hand-marbled scarf I bought myself at the Center for Book Arts Holiday Fair, my Nook, and the little hadnmade ceramic soap dish I bought in Maine.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My hardest-working students. They know who they are.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Far too many of the Tea Partiers.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Same as it ever was.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Gwen's amazing house in Colorado. Not that I want one that big, but I want one that arty.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
"Empire State of Mind." I played that over and over coming back on the SI ferry at night. God I love it here!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Still happy.
b) thinner or fatter? think I put on some weight over the holidays.
c) richer or poorer? Materially, 'bout the same. In friends, much richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Art and writing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Fucking Facebook. What a time suck.
20. How will you be spending New Year's?
Cooking for friends.
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
No more than usual.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite tv program?
Sherlock, though my CSI infatuation continues apace.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Try not to do hate any more, though I can say I'm completely disgusted by the stupidity of so many of the Tea Partiers.
26. What was the best book you read?
The same one everyone else was reading: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
School of the Seven Bells
28. What did you want and get?
A new teaching gig.
29. What did you want and not get?
A slightly bigger place to live and a Powerball win.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
"Iron Man 2." Wish I could say it was "The Tempest," but not.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 50, and I went for cupcakes with the Birthday Club.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Cooler weather this summer and more time.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Fashion concept? Er . . . .
34. What kept you sane?
Books and friends. And beer.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Oh, all the old favorites, though I was mildly fascinated by Benedict Cumberbatch.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The oil spill, and the stupidity of people protesting the Islamic Cultural Center near Ground Zero.
37. Whom did you miss?
Jennifer. One of us, obviously, is going to have to move.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Gwen, though it was not so much met as rekindled a 30-years-dormant friendship. Why did I never keep in touch with her when she moved?
39. Was 2010 a good year for you?
Not fantastic, but certainly not a bad one. It feels a bit wasted, especially for a milestone year like 50.
40. What was your favorite moment of the year?
Swimming in the hot springs in Colorado with the Nympho Lesbo Killer Whores +2.
41. What was your least favorite moment of the year?
Anything that involved DeeDee the Destroyer's presence.
42. What was your favorite month of 2010?
August, a week of which was spent in the Rockies.
43. How many different states did you travel to in 2010?
Colorado, Wisconsin (inadvertently), and Maine.
44. How many concerts did you see in 2010?
None. Too damn busy this year, and teaching nights.
45. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
Not that I recall, which is good however you look at it.
46. What was the worst lie someone told you in 2010?
"Sure, you'll make your connection in Madison!"
47. Did you treat somebody badly in 2010?
Gosh, I hope not. I haven't paid enough attention to Jean's parents though.
48. Did somebody treat you badly in 2010?
Not that I remember, and that's all that counts.
49. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2010 and change something, what would it be?
I'd try to talk Jean out of taking her life. I don't know if I really have that right, but I'll always wonder if someone had been with her if she would have kept plugging. But then, maybe it was just too hard for her, and I'm merely being selfish.
50. What are your plans for 2011?
See my previous post.
51. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:
Sometimes life is harder for other people than you can possibly know. And you can't fix it for them. All you can do is love them.
1. a) What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?:
The comments to this entry are closed.